Monday, January 11, 2010

In their Natural Habitat

Namely, Ontario and snow. These are my sister's Ontario mittens.


What a pretty design! I didn't actually design it, as a matter of fact. It was inspired by a pair of mittens by a brilliant Swedish Raveler called EvaL8, actually her name is Eva-Lotta and I suspect that if you say "EvaL8" in Swedish it sounds like "Eva-Lotta". Here are her "Svantar" mittens on her blog.


I have to say it again: these mittens are SO WARM! While my sister and I were taking these photos outside my Dad´s house, our poor frozen hands were just about to become gangrenous and fall off. As soon as we put our wondrous mittens on, they were Instantly Toasty. Somehow I have to patent this invention and mass-produce it for arctic crab fishermen and the like. I could make a fortune.

And these are the originals. I made the left mitten in Summer 2008! The right mitten I made this December. It's a much better mitten. Having made 2 full pairs since the first one, my technique was much improved. So my poor stepmother gets her left hand fingernails caught in the lining. Luckily she is a classical guitarist (who isn't in this family?) and so left hand fingernails are hardly an issue. The right mitten will leave her nails in perfect playing order.


I have much more to blog about my trip to Toronto. I met so many wonderful new friends! I had a crocheter´s holiday, it was awesome. But at the moment my eyes are self-closing from the enormous jet lag which besets me.

Also, my suitcase is still in Heathrow. Meaning, my newly acquired STASH is in Heathrow. I'll have to up my nerve medication to deal with this.

Will blog further tomorrow. For the sake of my readers, I hope my STASH has arrived by then.

12 comments:

random Cindy said...

Beautiful pictures of lovely mittens. I hope your stash arrives safely and soon!

Unknown said...

Glad you finally made it to Canada! Once my husband's viola da gamba went to Hawaii without him courtesy of an airline and it came back home--you and your stash will be reunited!

Michèle Girard said...

I am so glad you solved the passport issue and were able to go visit your family in Toronto. I am sure your sister and stepmother were ecstatic to receive such gorgeous mittens. I hope you get your stash back very soon.

Anonymous said...

¡Gracias otra vez!
y...

¡¡Feliz NO-navidad!!!! (Hoy empieza, y dura hasta el 24 de enero de 2011!!!! :DD)

Penélope said...

¡Perdón! :O.
Quise decir diciembre...:DDD

Izabela said...

hope your stash comes very soon! Heathrow is justy around the corner from me :)

Nutsue said...

Son la cosa más bonita que he visto últimamente! te han quedado preciosos y la verdad es que parecen muy pero que muy calentitos!

yarnlot said...

Wonderful these mittens!

Granny's Girls said...

Ack! Your stash is in another country, that's terrible. Don't those airline officials understand how traumatic that is? Hopefully by the time you read this you will have been reunited with your goodies.

It's was great to meet you while you were over here and thank you for the awesome class. I have my cowl finished and it's keeping my neck toasty warm. I have to make myself a pair of thrummed mitts next. ;-)

Corinne

EvaL8 said...

Hello from Sweden. Very fun to read about your mittens specially the hot ones. Eva-Lotta

Roselaine said...

Waouh, it's amazing and very very very nice!
Elles sont super jolies et doivent être très agréables à porter!
Congratulations!

Suzanne said...

I have just become a follower of your wonderful blog! What an inspiration. I love those projects! Normally these kind of project are for knitting and I am not really swell at knitting :p. that it is possible in crochet is awesome!